Ted and I try to get to Portland in July while the boys are with their mom in Canada. Portland provides Ted the opportunity to see friends and also play with his band. Playing is as important for him as sewing and knitting is for me. He's very creative and music is part of who he is at the core. (He'll tease me for saying that)
While we've been there over the summers I had two great friends, Paola and Cindy, who've catered to MY creative whims. Now going to Portland includes going to the many knit shops and wonderful fabric stores. This summer was no exception, only it was beyond Portland's normal summer and into extreme heat 2009. April was there with me this year. We shopped anyway but this dress is the result of sweating more than I had ever planned in the Portland heat. The pattern is by Colette and the fabric was an expensive purchase from bolt so it was all in all, a Portland dress. The sweater is whisper (ravelry link) knit also from yarn bought in Portland with April. Its Malabrigo Lace from Knit/Purl and only takes 2 skeins. Its super soft and just the right weight.
The dress (Parfait pattern) came together in an afternoon/evening once I had it cut and interfaced. I made it 2 inches longer and modified the bust to fit. I didn't put in the side zipper because a) I didn't have one and since Hancocks burned I didn't feel the want to drive all the way out to Joann's and b) even with the bust fitting I was able to pull it on over my head since it has shoulder buttons. I also didn't do the pockets because I felt they got lost on the printed fabric. The fabric is a very thin cotton with a lot of hold to it. It was fun to work with and eased quite well when needed.
The sweater required every bit of the two skeins to make it long enough. I wish I had made the sleeves longer and thought I did until it was already too far along to really tink it back. But I love the pattern (much like a shrug) and will gladly make it again!
The dress (Parfait pattern) came together in an afternoon/evening once I had it cut and interfaced. I made it 2 inches longer and modified the bust to fit. I didn't put in the side zipper because a) I didn't have one and since Hancocks burned I didn't feel the want to drive all the way out to Joann's and b) even with the bust fitting I was able to pull it on over my head since it has shoulder buttons. I also didn't do the pockets because I felt they got lost on the printed fabric. The fabric is a very thin cotton with a lot of hold to it. It was fun to work with and eased quite well when needed.
The sweater required every bit of the two skeins to make it long enough. I wish I had made the sleeves longer and thought I did until it was already too far along to really tink it back. But I love the pattern (much like a shrug) and will gladly make it again!
1 comment:
They both look so good! I love those Colette patterns.
Post a Comment