Friday, October 8, 2010

half a life ago

15 years ago a friend of mine ended her life at my house. I'm still not sure of the details and feel immensely sorry for her at-the-time boyfriend, who was present and perhaps involved. It could have been an accident, it could have been on purpose. I'll never know. I do know that it has taken me this half a life to find myself on the other side of it all. During those 15 years I went from a shell-shocked teenager, to an often depressed college student, through losing another friend--someone who honestly I love to this day for what he gave me, to marrying someone because I thought they loved me, to divorcing him because he truly just loved himself, to finding--even with off timing--the love of my life, and to surrounding myself with the greatest friends I've ever had. I still remember those glazed over days and afraid nights I spent in the last three years of high school. I still don't like spending the night at my parent's house--nor does my brother--because something is still sad there.

Without this loss, perhaps I would have had more confidence or spent my high school years differently or made different choices or....or....or

Because of this loss, I am here. I think of April less these days but she still has a part of me that knows life is fragile. I held her hand in the last moments of her too-short life. It's made me who I am now, half a life since.

3 comments:

Connie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Connie said...

I'm sad,proud of you,love you, respect you,admire you,pray everyday for your happiness and joy you spread to your family and friends.

You are the strongest,smartest,sweetest,prettiest kindest and most thoughtful young lady I know.

Keep your head high, love hard and enjoy life. Keep looking forward with the strength that you have inside you. Enjoy where your life is today!!

Many love you and you mean so much to all of us. You have the rest of your life to focus on and it is a good one Missy...

I love you more than life. I'm proud you are my daughter and who God has made you. I know He has great things planned for you. Just keep looking ahead and be who you are with great zeal. You are a powerful person sweetie.

I love you,
Mom

emily said...

i found this post after i should have...because i should have been following all along.

i concur with miss connie.

that's all.

best to you and the life you have before you.